As part of the DARIAH Virtual Exchange Session: The Scholarly Primitives of Scholarly Meetings, we will be launching a virtual collection of resources and ideas exploring the many primitives of and issues surrounding scholarly meetings on Thursday, May 21. These resources, curated by the DARIAH-EU team, will act as a pool of prompts and provocations for thought and conversation, a dialogue that will culminate in a 2-hour synchronous virtual exchange session on the 28th (from 14:00-16:00 UTC+1). From poster sessions to book of abstracts and conversation over the first coffee break, this collection will give attendees an exploration space in which to learn, discover and consider the question of why we gather as scholars.
Virtual collection of resources and ideas
Some of the resources that you will soon be able to explore include:
- Curated scholarship on topics such as informality in scholarly practice and carbon neutral and eco conferences
- Scholarly interventions presenting current projects, such as work practices under COVID and emerging museum technologies for building connection
- A before-and-after comparison of live interactive performance in a room versus on zoom
- Reflections and good practice advice for taking meetings virtual
- The Spotify playlist that has gotten the DARIAH team through the crisis
and many more.
As the need for virtual meetings is more present than ever, this event aims to explore the many functions scholarly meetings fulfill in our lives, including the respective potentials of the online and offline spaces at our disposal. If we are to understand how to optimally use technology to support scholarship, therefore, we need to better understand not just the technology, but more importantly, what these meetings achieve for us and how. Through this event, we aim to look at what we value most enduringly and what we might no longer require within our current and emerging practices of personal, informal or semiformal exchange, creating for 2020 a highly relevant response to the project which John Unsworth took on 20 years ago to better understand scholarship through the lens of the primitive.
Registration to the event is open here: https://www.dariah.eu/2020/04/27/dariah-virtual-exchange-session-the-scholarly-primitives-of-scholarly-meetings/