Online Event | October 13, 2020 | 10:00 CEST
In cooperation with the Social Sciences and Humanities Open Cloud SSHOC, ELDAH is organizing the workshop “Putting data protection into practice: The GDPR and the DARIAH ELDAH Consent Form Wizard”.
Speakers: Koraljka Kuzman Šlogar (University of Zagreb / DARIAH-HR), Vanessa Hannesschläger (Austrian Academy of Sciences / CLARIAH-AT), Walter Scholger (University of Graz / CLARIAH-AT)
There are a number of data protection issues that humanities’ and social sciences’ researchers encounter in their work. Examples of these include scientific events where photos and videos are taken, but also surveys and other research activities involving human participants. For many of these activities, researchers have to obtain legal consent from their participants in order to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). To address these, ELDAH has developed a tool that provides standardized consent form templates for obtaining legal consent from human participants: The DARIAH ELDAH Consent Form Wizard (CFW). The CFW enables digital scholars and the wider research infrastructure community to quickly and easily obtain a standardized consent form that is legally valid in all of the European Union.
In this workshop, we will discuss the European legal framework for data privacy and processing personal data (General Data Protection Regulation, GDPR). The workshop will help participants understand how their research is affected by the GDPR and what issues to pay attention to.
The topics covered in the workshop include:
- A question of ethics and law: processing personal data in research, education and cultural heritage
- EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR): basic principles and framework
- GDPR provisions and exemptions for research
- Introduction to the DARIAH-EU ELDAH Consent Form Wizard
- Create your own GDPR-compliant consent form in the context of gathering data from and/or about living people for research purposes; communicating through mailing-lists or other (digital) communication media; and gathering data/consent from participants as the host of an academic event
The workshop is open for anyone interested in GDPR compliance. However, due to its interactive nature, participation in the workshop is limited to 80 people.
For more information on the event visit: https://sshopencloud.eu/putting-data-protection-practice-gdpr-and-dariah-eldah-consent-form-wizard-0