DARIAH in collaboration with the project FREYA, UCL Centre for Digital Humanities, Institute of Historical Research and the School of Advanced Study are organising a workshop for early-career historians on how to best communicate research in the digital landscape. The workshop will be hosted on December 4, in London, United Kingdom.
About this Event
Digital methods within research have vastly expanded the possibilities and opportunities for communicating research publications and also the ways in which works can be linked together and cited. These methods also have the potential to save time on administration and make research publications and outputs discoverable to a wider audience.
This workshop will provide an overview of ways in which historians can build and manage an online profile as a researcher, using tools such as ORCID IDs. It will also cover best practice and methods of citing digital resources so your work is connected and discoverable to others.
The afternoon will also provide the opportunity to share experiences with other researchers about successes and challenges in working with digital resources and hear from journal editors about their work and how they cite digital objects. The workshop is primarily aimed at early-career historians but other humanities researchers are also welcome. Topics discussed during the workshop:
- Persistent identifiers for authors and contributors
- Citation of digital resources
- Best practices for citations: where to start?
- Hands-on session with fellow humanities researchers
13:15 Registration, Tea and Coffee
13:30 Scene-setting presentations
- Introduction, Julianne Nyhan, UCL DH/Frances Madden, FREYA/Jonathan Blaney, Institute of Historical Research
- Demonstrating the benefits, Prof. Jane Winters, SAS
- Best Practices: Highlights of the infrastructure available, Francesca Morselli, DARIAH/FREYA
- A publisher’s perspective, Kath Burton, Routledge Journals
15:00 Group Discussions – Comparison with current practice
15:45 Group Discussions – Devising practical ideas and solutions
Register for the event here.