The 2018 edition of the Lexical Data Masterclass took place in Berlin, on December 3-7, at the Berlin Brandenburg Academy of Sciences (BBAW). Co-organized by DARIAH-EU, the BBAW, Inria and the Belgrade Center for Digital Humanities, with the support of CLARIN and the European Lexicographic Infrastructure (ELEXIS), LexMC2018 brought together advanced trainees with experts to share experiences, methods and techniques for the creation, management and use of lexical data.
The masterclass covered a number of topics ranging from general models for lexical content and TEI-based representation of lexical data to working efficiently with XML editors. By hosting different sessions, the aim was to provide participants the opportunity to touch upon multiple different topics, consult with experts on their own dictionary projects and get to know and test TEI Lex-0, a newly proposed baseline encoding for lexicographic data.
The projects presented during LexMC2018 are summarised below:
- Claudia Bonsi – Encoding an Italian meta-dictionary
- Marija Zarkovic – Spanish Legal Terms Through Time: Digitization
- Martin Wynne (Bodleian library, Oxford) – Enhancing a lexicon of variant word forms in seventeenth-century French
- Joanna Aleksandra Bilińska – Slavic Corpora Terminology Dictionary
From PDF to TEI using GROBID dictionary
- Nikolche Mickoski (Lexicographic Centre at Macedonian Academy of Sciences and Arts) – Using GROBID for OCR-ized multilingual dictionary
- Emrah Özcan (Yildiz Technical University) – Retro-digitizing Turkish dictionaries using GROBID-dictionaries and XSLT
- Biljana Lazić – Using GROBID-Dictionaries to encode the German-Serbian Mining Dictionary
- Marija Gmitrović (Institute of Serbian Language) – Using GROBID-Dictionaries to encode the Dictionary of the Jablanica Dialect
- Lionel Tadjou (Inria, team ALMAnaCH) – Current state of the lexical scenario in the SSK
TEI based dictionary projects
- Boris Lehečka (Czech Language Institute) – Electronic Dictionary of Old Czech: TEI Modeling and Transforming
- Nikola Zdravković – Deutsches Wörterbuch – Refurbished (Letter A)
Language documentation projects
- Jonas Lau – Advancements in the Àbèsàbèsì Dictionary
- Simona Olivieri (Humboldt Research Fellow – FU Berlin) – TEI-encoding of linguistic terminology and Qurʾānic quotations in the Kitāb Sībawayhi
From legacy formats and databases to TEI
- Fraser Dallachy – A TEI XML Version of the “Historical Thesaurus of English” Legacy Database
- Ana de Castro Salgado (FCSH, NOVA, CLUNL, Lisbon, Portugal / Academia das Ciências de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal) – Switching the Academy of Sciences Portuguese Dictionary to TEI Lex-0
- Zara Kancheva and Ivaylo Radev (IICT-BAS) – BTB-WordNet. From LMF to TEI with XSLT
If you would like to read in more detail these projects and their results visit the original post at the digilex website.