The DARIAH Theme is an annual area of focus chosen for investment by the DARIAH Board of Directors. In 2018, we focus our attention on the chronic problem of software and tool sustainability in the digital humanities, while also looking forward to the build phase of the DARIAH Marketplace for data, tools and services. Thus, this year’s focus is ‘Strategic Service Sustainability for DARIAH’.
Who can apply?
We invite researchers from the DARIAH community who have built tools or services with a potentially wide long-term usership to submit a proposal for theme funding. This funding should be viewed as a transitional support to ensure a service is functional and accessible and that any development gaps are filled before it is hosted in a stable way by a DARIAH member state.
What should the proposal contain?
Applicants will need to show a clear integration case: how does your service or tool become a part of DARIAH’s strategy, positioned in terms of the Strategic Action Plan and nascent DARIAH vision and values? In other words, how will DARIAH activities be shaped by it in the future? How might it become the core of future development? How might investment make the tool or service sustainable, and what would be its impact on the DARIAH community? In particular, could you imagine this integrated into the EOSC?
What costs are eligible under this call?
- Software development, including standardisation, API development or other tweaks required to facilitate long-term hosting
- Travel to negotiate relationships with potential sustainability partners
- Small-scale development studies on usage, development of use cases, or impact assessment, if justified
- Generation of usage-enhancing assets, like a multilingual interface, educational materials or more user-friendly documentation
- Other justifiable costs (by previous agreement with the DARIAH team)
Maximum allowable budget is €20 000, but please note that value for money will be an assessment criterion.
How can you apply?
All applications must be submitted directly on the website https://dariahtheme2018.sciencesconf.org/ AND by e-mail to email@example.com.
Deadline for submissions: September 9, 2018
Review process: until September 30, 2018
Notifications to applicants: early October 2018
Start date of projects: November–December 2018
End date of projects: November–December 2019 (1-year project funding)
For more information visit https://dariahtheme2018.sciencesconf.org/ or contact firstname.lastname@example.org