The objective of the workshop is to build prototypes for citizens to explore the socio-cultural, economic and political factors related to food and food culture. We followed a design thinking approach to list existing problems related to food in general and suggested prototypical solutions to address one or more of the problems.
Team members were given a short training on design thinking approach to solve societal problems for the first half of the workshop and they were asked to follow the approach to identify major problems and to suggest possible solutions to the problems. The participants were divided into four groups with 4 to 7 members in each group.
Analysing problems related to food
Following this, the team started to focus on the analysis of the main problems related food. The groups identified problems such as food waste, food and health, food and ethical use as well as food and culture. Then, each group focused on the possible solutions to address each of the problems. Some of the solutions suggested including the use of smart technologies such as refrigerators to detect expiry date of the food, food sharing among neighbors, efficient transportation of food products, improved local production and consumption of food etc.
- Learnings on the implementation of a design thinking process
- gaining new insights on working methodologies
- obtain methodologies for working towards a concrete scenario for the food domain
(towards a concrete service profile)
- understanding of diverse needs of partners/community groups
- detecting overlaps
- understanding about research questions
- earning about navigation paths
- generate ideas for potential future scenarios
- enable participants to run a similar process
- introduction into design thinking tools
The future work will be concerned with an approach towards an architecture of a food lab including
- prioritize actors needs
- prioritize our scenarios
- develop clear outcomes with certain community groups
- define roles of various partners and physical studios
Next opportunities to meet us in public
- WissensDurst Festival Vienna: Team Nahrungsquelle – Rezepte für Wissenshungrige
- Lange Nacht der Forschung (LNF) Vienna 2018
- European Citizen Science Conference (ECSA2018) Geneve 2018
- Create your world (CYW) @ Ars Electronica Linz 2018
More detailed information can be found here.